Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Day of Rest





"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
-Matthew 11:28

The Lord finally brought fall weather to good old Texas this morning. The clouds are out and the temperature is below 70 degrees! Its definite snuggle in a blanket with a warm cup of coffee kind of morning.

Sundays are my all time favorite days. I love going to church and enjoying the last day of the weekend but mostly because it is the day that the Lord calls us to rest. We talked a lot about rest at camp and I quickly came to the conclusion that our understanding of "Rest" is very skewed. 

"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done."
- Exodus 2:2-3

Whether you believe the days of creation to be literal 24 hour days or not, that is not the point. After all the work the Lord had done he gave himself a day to rest and enjoy his work. As humans we are so burdened by our obligations and our day to day tasks that we run ourselves dry. Why? Why is it so tough for us to just stop for a day and enjoy what we do. Why is it so tough for us to allow ourselves to take a day of Rest and praise our God and enjoy his blessings. Our bodies were not created like robots, we can't keep going and going. We have to step back from the business of the world and Rest. 

Now I know what you're thinking. The same thing I thought when I heard this. "I don't have time to do nothing all day" This is where our concept of Rest is skewed. The world sees rest as being lazy and not doing anything all day. Sometimes we need those days for sure, however, I don't believe that the Lord is calling us to be couch potatos all day. Rest is doing something you enjoy and find joy and peace in. It could be anywhere from doing yard work outside, to spending time with friends and family to just sitting at home enjoying a good book or movie. The Lord wants to bless us with things that give us peace and relaxation, to refresh our souls for the busy week ahead. 

He calls us to work hard during the week and finally rest on the 7th day... which for most of us is Sunday! So today just take the day to enjoy the little things that the Lord has blessed us with. :) No stress. 

Here are a few of the things that bring me so much Joy:

Sunsets
Silly moments with my Guy :)

My precious family

Pine Cove Staff

Sweet Roommates

A good cup of coffee

This needs no explanation... Look at that face! :) Oh my goodness
My Sweet Tri Delta sisters


Today is a gift and blessing from the one who loves us more than we can ever know. Enjoy it :)


No comments: